linux on a alpha

Jeff McCright jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
Thu Aug 31 21:49:59 CDT 2000

The price of the Red Hat Alpha Version is also free... except the cost of a CD-R and
the time to download and burn the ISO image, of course.

Jeff McCright
jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com

 ----------
From: kclug at kclug.org
To: 'kclug at kclug.org'
Cc: jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
Subject: kclug - linux on a alpha

I have the oppurtunity to get an old DEC Alpha 300X workstation.  It currently
is running VMS, but I would like to convert it over to Linux if possible.
We have been toying with the idea of a Linux cluster here and I thought
this might be a reasonable machine to put in the cluster.  It also has a nice
big
monitor that would be nice for some of our other applications.
My question is is it feasible to install Linux on this machine and if so
is it worth it.  The price of the machine is free.

Len Thomas