Microsoft To Publish Linux

Joe Brouhard joeb at armada.homeip.net
Wed Aug 23 04:10:09 CDT 2000

> Now Now Joe, Windows 2000 is not a rewrite of Windows NT 4.0.  It is just
> merely Windows NT 4.0 with Plug N Pray support, and tools with a few
> "different" features :).

Well.. I'll agree, but there is a *LOT* of difference between the two.. NT4
couldn't install on FAT32 partitions.  Windows 2000 Professional can.  I
have tried this, and it works.

> I would be very surprised to see Microsoft port any of its apps over to
> linux.  I think that it's very funny that they ported IE to HPUX and
> Solaris, but they made sure to leave out Linux.

Well.. Microsoft wants to get a foothold in the territory.. we'll have to
wait and see.

> Personally, I don't really trust the article either.  After all, Microsoft
> made false statements about releasing Windows 95.  They
> originally announced
> a release date of January 1995 and then pushed it back to August 1995.
> Well, at this time IBM was preparing to release OS/2 3.0 (Warp) onto the
> shelves, and they were committed to getting their product out on
> the shelves
> before Microsoft could ship Windows 95.  Then, naturally, IBM releases a
> rather buggy version of OS/2 3.0 before Microsoft's first intended release
> date.  Hmmm. . .  you do the math.

Microsoft and IBM are two big giants fighting for the same chair.. What do
you expect? :)

> Also, you're absolutely right on another note - Microsoft WILL have to
> follow the rules for GPL.  Frankly, they will never make Office 2000 into
> GPL which I assume means that they have to sell it rather than
> give it away
> for a little while.  Another thing to keep in mind is that Microsoft could
> NOT handle putting together a Linux distribution, and then having someone
> subtract a few things out, add a few of their own, and then turn
> around and
> sell it as their own distribution (and it's legal).  Microsoft would never
> stop pouting at that point.  GPL is just a beautiful thing, it is the one
> idea that can totally wipe out Microsoft.

Well.. After the latest legal problems Microsoft has faced, I seriously
doubt they'd want to get themselves into that kind of trouble, so I'd have
to agree with you now.. They'd never allow a distro they developed based on
Linux to be changed and re-sold, as per the GPL and GNU.

Guess we'll see what they decide on.. Lets hope they stay on the sidelines
for a change <G>

Joe Brouhard
joeb at armada.homeip.net