Microsoft To Publish Linux

Joe Brouhard joeb at armada.homeip.net
Tue Aug 22 14:38:33 CDT 2000

Valid arguements here, Walter..

However, Microsoft *HAS* to follow the GPL agreement, otherwise the Justice
Department will give them hell again. The Courts *DID* touch them.. Read the
press release earlier this year.. I think it was June.  Microsoft *IS*
Slated to be broken in to two, but that's on hold pending Appeals, which is
now starting to dimmer in sight, since Justice Department wants the Supreme
Court to review this, instead of the Appealates Court (Which means MS will
lose if it goes to SCourt.)

As for Microsoft writing software, I've heard rumors of them porting their
Backoffice products to Linux for years.  Haven't seen *ONE* solid thing to
prove this yet either.  If  they do port Office 2000, it's probably because
SunMicrosystem's StarOffice... Other than that, i don't really know.
Microsoft is a giant that needs to find it's own sandbox, and stay in it,
but here's the irony of this all... They did help the Linux world by
developing software that was so buggy that quite a few people got so
frusterated, and turned to UNIX/LINUX for solitude.  UNIX/LINUX is more
stable server wise than NT Server.. Trust me, I know since I run a NT Box
around here, and studying for my MCSE in both NT4 and 2000 (2000 is
pratically a re-write.. nothing's the same in it it would appear).

Microsoft creating it's own distro of Linux?  I don't think so.  Distro of
Windows for Linux (like the KDE Desktop)?  Possibly.  I just don't see them
wasting time and money making their own Linux (Microsoft WinLinux? <G>)

Just my 2 cents :-)

Joe Brouhard
joeb at armada.homeip.net