ISP Linux support

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Tue Aug 22 01:12:02 CDT 2000

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Mike Coleman wrote:
><SFIKE at twa.com> writes:
>> I was just wondering what some of you are using for Internet Service Providers
>> for your Linux boxes at home. I live in Gladstone and plan on going DSL or
>> Cable Modem in the next couple of months, but in the mean time I need to find
>> a regular dial-up ISP that supports Linux.
>
>I'm also in Gladstone.  I was happy with the quality of skynet a year or two
>ago, but I dropped them when they started requiring SSNs for new customers,
>which I find objectionable.
>
>After that, I switched to grapevine.  They're pretty good, but not as good as
>skynet was.  On a couple of occasions their main inbound sendmail would stop
>over a weekend, and it wouldn't get fixed until Monday.
>
>Both have (or had) shell accounts, which are nice.

I used to use sound.net as my primary ISP, and had decent dialup results when
living in OP and in KCMO.  I still have the account, although I'm now
RoadRunnerized.  I telnet into my shell account (Solaris) at least once every
workday, just to check mail.  They haven't had any large-scale problems that I
have been aware of for a couple of years now, and when they do have trouble,
they are good at getting it fixed fast.  Worth a look, I'd say.

--
Kendric Beachey
ak at kc.rr.com