Linux as a Substitute for Citrix Metaframe

Forrest Dickinson fdickinson at morganhunter.com
Fri Aug 18 18:10:24 CDT 2000

I am trying to setup a couple of linux servers as "windows terminal
servers".  The company I work for needs the ability for users working
from home to have access to an industry specific database (Notes R5
based, the databases are to large to replicate to home users
workstations).  The 2 linux servers are both PIII 550s with 192 megs of
ram.  One is running Caldera 2.3 eServer and the other Redhat 6.2 and
both have all the bug/security fixes and updates installed (I have not
decided which ditro I want to go with).  I have VNC running on both
servers and Win4Lin with win98se as the guest OSes (through my own
testing I have found that Win4Lin consistently outperforms VMware and
its cheaper, VNC of course is free).  Anyway it really runs well, I have

found that 5 (or possibly more) users should be able to use each server
at a time and get adequate performance (pretty good considering this is
five instances of win98 running at one time and five instance of the
Notes R5 client running at one time).  The clients are running win98 and

the VNCviewer and have either DSL or Cable modems on their end, and on
our end the servers access the internet via a T1.  The problem I am
having is they cannot print to their printers at home (of course they
can do a print screen or print to the printers at the office, but I need

more than that) and they cannot map to there own drives (the former is
more important than the latter).   If I could get this working I will
have saved my company several thousand dollars over the cost of a Citrix

product.  Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Forrest Dickinson
Network Administrator
Morgan Hunter Companies