Software modems

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Aug 18 15:30:17 CDT 2000

Well, according to the article, the serial cable adds 26ms more
latency like this.

"26 ms (100 bytes down serial port to modem)
 50 ms (modem's fixed waiting time)
 28 ms (transmission time over telephone line at 28.8 Kbps)
 26 ms (100 bytes up serial port at receiving end)

Thus, the total time is 130 ms each way, or 260 ms for the round-
trip."

I will grant that as broadband becomes more and more prevalent,
that this will become less of an issue, but I do believe that
latency is just as important as bandwidth.  Bandwidth is roughly
equivalent to how much data can be put in the pipe at once, but
latency is equivalent to how long the data takes to get to the
other end.  ISDN and modems have roughly similiar bandwidth, but
ISDN has MUCH better latency, and that is why it is so much
faster.  A station wagon full of CD-ROMS going down the interstate
has incredibly huge bandwidth, but the latency is REALLY bad.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net
If Al Gore invented the internet, why is it named after George W. Bush