breathing new life into an old box

SFIKE at twa.com SFIKE at twa.com
Mon Aug 14 21:30:14 CDT 2000

To: SFIKE   --VMIDS    SCOTT A. FIKE
    kulua-l at kulua.org
    kclug at kclug.org
    scott at noip.net

From: Scott Fike
SUBJECT: breathing new life into an old box
 I have an elderly friend who has an old 386 box and I was wanting to install a
mini Linux distribution on it for him just so he could send and recieve e-mail
and surf the net. I know these mini distro's were made to breathe new life into
these obsolete boxes. Trouble is, there are so many of these mini distro's out
there, that I can't decide on which one to go with.
The distro needs to be super easy to install (I'm still a newbie myself) and
should preferably have an easy to use point and click, drag and drop GUI. A
good, stable e-mail client and web browser are going to be the heart and sole
of this box.
All I know about the box is that it is a 386 with a math co-processor installed
and has a 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" floppy drives. No CD-ROM. He has an external 14.4
modem for it, but I plan on getting him a U.S. Robotics 56K external. I'm not
for sure how much RAM is installed but I'm guessing somewhere between 4 to 8MB-
I'll find out for sure next weekend.  :)
In the mean-time, I would appreciate any suggestions for a mini distribution
from ALL on the list.

Many thanks in advance!
Scott