Dual cable hookup

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Aug 11 16:37:43 CDT 2000

Dale,

Not sure what you mean here.

If you mean combining the bandwidth to appear as a single
connection which people used to do with modems, (i.e.
have two phone lines dialed in and they appear as one
larger pipe) they both would have to be connected to
the same upstream provider.  I don't think either a
cable or a dsl provider would be able to do this.

If you were to get both cable and dsl providers to
deliver (which is certainly feasible), you would be
a multi-homed machine.  While this is very possible
to do, it would be rather difficult to setup.  Your
machine would have to decide which connection to
send outgoing packet on, and you would have to make
sure that you did not advertise your routes to one
connection on the other.  If this happened, your
machine would become router and packets could come
in on one connection and go out the other on their
way to somewhere else.  You would still not
be able to effectively combine the bandwidth into
a single connection.  About the only thing you could
do is have your machine appear on the internet as
two different machines and provide different services
on each.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net
If Al Gore invented the internet, why is it named after George W. Bush?