X Problem

Mark Henderson mark at hondo.org
Sat Apr 29 04:34:04 CDT 2000

Gene and Amy Dascher wrote:

> I don't know if my previous message got through, so I am going to restate my problem briefly:
>
>         I am running RH6.1 on a PII-350.  I did not do a lot of custom configuration, as I am new
to Linux.  I was running Gnome and
> Enlightenment as my window manager.  After getting my feet wet with recompiling the kernel and
upgrading my version of Enlightenment
> to 16.4, I decided to upgrade from XFree86-3.3 to XFree86-4.0.  Everything went well with my
installation, but when I ran startx, I
> got an older window manager (fvwm95 or fvwm2).  I did get enlightenment running, but I can't get
gnome to run from the command
> line.  Every time I try and run gnome-session, I get an error saying 'GTK - cannot open display'.
 BUT, if I run gnome-session from
> an xterm window when I have enlightenment up and running, my old desktop appears and runs fine.
ANY IDEAS?

YMMV, but I believe the quick way to make sure you launch gnome when you
startx is to create a .xinitrc file in your home directory that includes
one line with the path to gnome-session.

-Mark Henderson