swbell DSL

Pat Miller pert at tas-kc.com
Fri Apr 28 23:45:24 CDT 2000

it probably depends on who the installer is. Often they won't even test
it unless it is windows, so just borrow a compute. Or I mean...Just use
one of the computers behind the firewall and rearrange the setup once he
leaves.

 Some have had luck with a linux box ready to support

phase at booyaka.com wrote:

> does anybody have experience with southwestern bell DSL?
> a friend of mine ordered it recently after i told him he
> could run linux on his old, unused 486 and use it as a
> firewall/masquerading box to share the connection among
> a couple of win98 machines.  i recently put a couple of
> ISA ne2000 clones in the box, installed slackware 7 on
> it, and set it up to use dhcpcd to configure the outside
> interface.  now, before swbell will install the service,
> they're requiring proof that my friend owns a registered
> copy of win98.  this has me worried that their service
> uses PPPOE or in some other way *requires* win98.  can
> anyone confirm or deny my concern?  if they do use DHCP,
> do they supply a PCI ethernet card and check the hardware
> address of the card before allowing a lease?  i ask this
> last question because the old machine has no PCI slots...
>
> thanks,
> matt lee

, and plug it in when the guy sets up the CPE (customer premise
equip.)/Modem/router/bridge...

They do supply a NIC but don't require that one be used.