Wierd Architectures

mike neuliep mike at illiana.net
Fri Apr 28 01:33:25 CDT 2000

While I know this isn't misc.forsale.computers.unix-workstations, before
I get flamed, I want to say I'm posting this to potentially give others the
chance to try Linux on other platforms other than Intel.

For those who want to play with Linux on different architectures, you're in
luck because I think I want to clean house.  Here is what I want to unload:

	o sparc ipx, 2 gig scsi HD, floppy, 20in hitachi monitor, 24meg ram
	o sparc ipx, 4 gig scsi HD, floppy, 20in sun monitor, 64meg ram
	o dec alpha axp pc150, 128meg ram, 2.88 floppy, 2 gig scsi HD, 4xcd
		3c509 ethernet, s3 864 video, EISA Adaptec 1742 scsi card
	o dec alpha axp pc150, 128meg ram, 2.88 floppy, 4 gig scsi HD, 4xcd
	   	DEC EISA ethernet, s3 864 video, EISA Adaptec 1742 scsi card
	o IBM RS6000 power station 370, one ibm ethernet, one 3com ethernet,
	   all MCA bus, 128meg ram, FWD scsi raid controller, 10 gig raid array
	o 2 (two) motorola starmax 160 (mac clones), 64meg ram, 8xcd, floppy
	  one gig IDE HD, scsi port
	o sun 4/330, 4 serial, cg6 color card, 24 meg of ram, 880 meg scsi,
	  one lance ethernet, 15 in color monitor, running sun-os 4.1.4
	  This is the one that defeated me, I was never able to get Linux
	  installed on this box, even though it is (partially) supported
	  This was still a very fun box to play with though.

I will trade comparable PCs for the alphas, sparcs and macs.  I've had debian
2.1 on both the alphas and sparc at one time or another.  I've had RH61 on the
macs in the past.  As far as the power station goes, you're stuck with AIX
 (but I have a mountain of CDs and docs for this one) Again I'll trade somethin
comparable for it in the intel arena...  Also looking for ANY kind of USR
 Total Control components...even an empty chassis.

I originally got these boxes to learn the different OSes and to learn how to
install Linux on them, but now I'd like to concentrate on just the intel boxes
since all the parts are easily obtainable and off the shelf--focusing on
redundancy and fault tolerance.  This isn't feasible with this older equipment
that I have...

Mike Neuliep
mike at illiana.net