Community webserver?

michael d hoskins michael.d.hoskins at mail.sprint.com
Thu Apr 20 17:10:02 CDT 2000

You know, I've thought about that, too.  However, I'd rather have true
hosting capabilities, daily backups, backup power, RAID, my own domain,
my own IP, my own account, unlimited POP/mail forwards, listserves,
ability to vend, Linux 2.2, Apache 1.3, PHP, Perl 5, MySQL, 24 by 7 tech
support and monitoring, extremely high speed (100's of Mbits/sec.)
connections, rack mounted, in a raised-floor data center, etc, for a LOT
less money.  This solution, of course, is more "professional," plus
there are no disputes to resolve with others sharing equipment wanting
this package or that package installed.

I already get all this for $9.95 a month at Hurricane Electric.
http://www.he.net/  (I saw their ad in Linux Journal several times.)
The bad thing is that I only get 5M of storage and 500M/month of
transfers.

Now, I'm thinking to moving to http://www.dibby.com/ after seeing a
Slashdot post.  They're $14.95/month, but I could get even faster
connectivity, unlimited transfers, and 300M of web space.

If you're still interested, I know four different people who might
consider it, since they already have a SWBell DSL here in KC and one has
already offered this as a possibility.  DSL's main rate, of course, is
384K-1.5M downstream and only 128K upstream.  I assume that the business
rate is 1.5M-6M down and only 128-384K upstream.  I am impressed by
DSL's download speeds, but it's upload rate is horrible, for hosting,
from what I have seen.  I have seen small pictures crawl across the
screen time after time, for uploads.

Sprint ION is 8M down and 1M up, but starts at $160/month.  There are NO
static IP's, according to information I've been looking into, unless you
pay a LOT extra for a business line.  (Of course, ION includes 1-4 phone
lines and 750 minutes of long distance.  I know somebody here at Sprint
who uses it *just* for the phone lines and long distance and they have
*never* surfed on it!  They use a 28.8 or 56K MODEM on one of those
lines!  However, they have reasons I can understand....)