[offtopic] 105.9 The Lazer

Jason Sloderbeck jason at mwis.net
Wed Sep 22 22:59:35 CDT 1999

> > Why on earth would this be posted to KCLUG - Could someone explain how
> > this is related to Linux?
>
> It isn't... Hence the "[offtopic]" mark being in the subject. Duh. Hey...
> While you're at it why don't you explain to my how this not having
> anything to do with Linux has anything to do with Linux??! Take your own
> advice, I guess.
>
> I just thought other people might also be interested in this... For you, I
> was wrong. That's why I told people in the first paragraph to /ignore/ the
> thread if it didn't interest them. Maybe you should learn to be a wee bit
> more tollerant, oh might one.

I have to agree with Todd. The point of the mailing list is to discuss
anything remotely _related_ to Linux. Admittedly, the 105.9 thread is
blatantly off-topic (yes, hence the "[offtopic]" mark in the subject). I
think that if people were interested in modern rock news, they'd join the
kmrlg (kansas modern rock listeners group) mailing list. The quickest way to
make people leave a mailing list is by filling their mailboxes with garbage
that they're not interested in. Personally, I don't care if I can tell by
the subject that I'm not interested in something, I don't want 10 e-mails in
my mailbox that I'm not interested in.. especially if it's by choice (e.g. a
mailing list, rather than random span).

In other words, Derek, you're:

a) Defeating the purpose of a mailing list (to distributed info about a
subject everyone that is on the mailing list is interested in)

b) Inviting people to post about an infinite number of topics (e.g.
"[offtopic] Petition the French government to stop serving cookies at
government-sponsored events", "[offtopic] Does anyone have a lawn mower I
can borrow?", etc.). Telling people to ignore the thread isn't an excuse for
offtopic postings.

You can't complain about people discussing the value of off-topic postings.
Any discussion that leads to better guidelines for the mailing list, and
therefore improving the value of the mailing list to its members, is a
productive one.

In conclusion, Todd's post is of value, regardless of its righteoussness,
simply because he's attempting to improve the quality of this mailing list.
Yours are not, as you bash him for merely having an opinion, amid your
offtopic posts.

Regards,
Jason Sloderbeck