-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 We're finally going to buy some 'real' server systems at my company and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with some of the hardware we're looking at. The systems will be dual AMD Opteron (Tyan 2882 motherboards), with 3Ware 12-port SATA RAID controllers (9500S-12). We use debian (ie: no pre-compiled drivers from 3Ware for the Debian kernels), and I'm wondering: - - Has anyone used the current 3Ware drivers with linux (preferrably in a compile-your-own kernel environment)? - - If so, what's your environment (disto, 32/64-bit) and how well do they work (speed, stability)? - - Is anyone running the AMD64 port of Debian (sarge), and if so what are your thoughts about using this in a production environment (or should I stick with the plain x86 port for now)? Thanks in advance! - -- Charles Steinkuehler charles@steinkuehler.net -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (MingW32) Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org iD8DBQFDT9xELywbqEHdNFwRAkriAKCJQ6vD/+6kQCJSB5EDIX7FAc54eACeKj/b s7mBR9F4wjmKsxVzit4berU= =8oBQ -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:26:44 -0500 Charles Steinkuehler <charles@steinkuehler.net> wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1
We're finally going to buy some 'real' server systems at my company and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with some of the hardware we're looking at.
The systems will be dual AMD Opteron (Tyan 2882 motherboards), with 3Ware 12-port SATA RAID controllers (9500S-12).
- - Has anyone used the current 3Ware drivers with linux (preferrably in a compile-your-own kernel environment)?
We just recently ordered some similar servers and while we don't have them yet I can say I've heard nothing but good things about the 3Ware SATA RAID controllers under Linux. --------------------------------- Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> http://www.wiles.org ---------------------------------
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 11:26 -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
- - Has anyone used the current 3Ware drivers with linux (preferrably in a compile-your-own kernel environment)?
I recommend against 3-Ware due to their poor performance. I also discourage people away from LSI/Symbiosis Megaraid configurations. I have had excellent luck with the Adaptec stuff in both performance and in speed in Linux.
- - If so, what's your environment (disto, 32/64-bit) and how well do they work (speed, stability)?
Kernels 2.6.8, 2.6.11, 2.6.12, 2.6.14 32-bit SMP all perform poorly with 3-Ware for me. Various distributions.
- - Is anyone running the AMD64 port of Debian (sarge), and if so what are your thoughts about using this in a production environment (or should I stick with the plain x86 port for now)?
I'm on the Debian-Devel mailing list and I highly recommend AGAINST it. It doesn't yet have "first class" status with the dev team. It's scheduled for full support in December of 2006. -- I use digital signatures and encryption. Stored at pgp.mit.edu key "0x8DB3BF09" F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE 7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:11:32 -0500 Jason Clinton <me@jasonclinton.com> wrote:
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 11:26 -0500, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
- - Has anyone used the current 3Ware drivers with linux (preferrably in a compile-your-own kernel environment)?
I recommend against 3-Ware due to their poor performance.
Can you elaborate on this further? I'm curious what kinds of performance problems you saw. Like I said before I've only ever heard glowing reviews about their stuff. --------------------------------- Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org> http://www.wiles.org ---------------------------------
participants (3)
-
Charles Steinkuehler -
Frank Wiles -
Jason Clinton