Ubuntu 9.04 with file issues Cross posted by intent- we're supposed to compare notes on such problems - I hope.

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:05:53 CDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Jack <quiet_celt at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm not being dramatic, merely stating the facts. Feel free to point out
>> which of my statements is not factual, and correct me if you find an error
>> in anything I said. Please be specific and quote verifiable sources for your
>> proofs.
>

> My "source" for this opinion is my experience in working with Linux for
> sixteen years~

My source for Sun's opinion is the Tier 3 storage support engineer I was on
the phone with trying to recover a failed Veritas volume on a Sun V880 a
couple of years ago.

My source for HP's opinion are the other admins in the office who have been
administering HP-UX systems in production (anything from old workstations to
Superdomes, to Integrity RX8640s, 2000+ servers) for a reasonable length of
time[1].

My source for IBM's opinion is a guy I used to work with who is sort of the
lead architect of the company's AIX deployment (1000+ servers) and has been
working with AIX for a reasonable length of time[1].

My source for Linux information is my own 16 years of experience (since
October of 1994) in using and administering Linux systems, both personally
and professionally, and having to perform filesystem recovery from time to
time.

Obviously none of my sources are verifiable as I'm not about to give out
company phone numbers on this mailing list (nor would my coworkers
appreciate the call) and while I can't remember the name of the Sun storage
engineer, even if I did, you'd not be able to speak with him without a valid
Sun support contract (and I'm sure he'd not appreciate the call, either).

[1] "a reasonable length of time" is defined here as "employed
professionally in this role for a period of time in excess of 10 years."

--
Chris