Ubuntu 9.04 with file issues Cross posted by intent- we're supposed to compare notes on such problems - I hope.

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 16:32:59 CDT 2010

Perhaps there's a gem of good information hidden in here, but you've
shrouded it in so much dramatic language that I find myself lacking the will
to follow up on it.

Seriously Jack, cut out the hyperbole and dramatics.  You're sounding like
Chicken Little.  For most people who encounter filesystem corruption, fsck
-y is perfectly fine.  Yes, you're right, in certain circumstances it can
make things worse.  But then again, in those circumstances a sysadmin would
just restore from backup.  If there's no backup and the data is important
then I don't think a lay person needs to be messing with it at all - they
ought to pay the money to have a pro recover it.

Either way, speak more factually and less dramatically.

Jeffrey.