A work around that may have wider potential -Video card loopback using paper clips for setup

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 19:29:25 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Oren Beck <orenbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> The story seems to  be centered on OSX for the EEE.  Yet the
>  implications are wider. This trick may lead to video and devices we
>  thought not Linux usable being rethought.
>
>  http://www.hackaday.com/2008/04/26/ghost-external-vga-display-hack/
>
>  Or- one could hack the plug end from a vga cable leaving enough wire
>  to make the loopback plug ?

I'd go for your idea of using the VGA plug - it would be much easier
to rewire it for other modes, as different systems use different sense
pins for stuff.  It's more a matter of limitations of simple driver
that seem to need this.  The comments in the article discuss using it
to get around the OS X installer needing a resolution that the native
800x400 display of the Eee doesn't output without an external display
attached, and also that the Eee doesn't natively support 640x480 on
the internal display that some games need.  It's more of a quick
hardware hack to sidestep resolution issues than a way to enable
otherwise-unsupported hardware.  Back in the day I ran a dial-up
router at home on an old Mac Quadra 700.  It was running NetBSD
1.4-ish or so and shared the dial-up to my LAN.  It had a Mac 15-pin
D-sub to VGA D-sub dongle with DIP switches that one cold use to
configure for the type of VGA monitor attached.  Being a server I'd
just configure it for a simple 640x480 display and leave the dongle
plugged in but no monitor.  Back int he day people recommended the
paper clip or other jumper wire to do the same effect but the dongle
was much cleaner, safer and more versatile.  That's one big reason I
think your VGA plug idea is good.

Jon.