GPL Vs FCC Vs Common Sense- A triangular entanglement that defies easy reconciliation.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:15:29 CDT 2008

GPL is quite explicit in intent.

America's FCC has an assigned mandate equally both explicit and critical.
As in "Life Safety" critical.

Common Sense fails with potentially deadly results to mediate the
conflict between GPL and FCC rules. Here's why and how.

Hardware bound  RF gear formerly required "hands on" manipulations to
violate designed in interlocks. For that fact-we were a bit safer from
"Life Safety" systems being crashed. Either by accident or malice.. We
are now in a time when our world's interwoven RF systems have become
literally a LIFE SAFETY critical realm. And that's understating it for
some cases!
Folks- we have simply too many of what Larry Niven labels "Fuggheads"
to allow certain risks.
Yet prudence dictates sanity AkA "Common Sense" in evaluating the real
balances between things like GPL and full ownership of our hardware-as
opposed to screw ups killing people.

SO- here's my take on a possible De Facto gambit we
modders/coders/other involved parties can do. And it's a simple short
sketch.

1.Advocate for risk management guided by Reality..As Common Sense is
NOT always Reality.

2 Repeat #1

3. Failing steps #1 and #2 WILL have us deep in several different
sorts of  the unpleasant #2

Oh yeah- if you think me alarmist? contact me OFF LIST and I will
scare you into awareness...

Oren Beck

816.729.3645