Asus EEE PC

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Apr 25 15:48:20 CDT 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> >  To fully use the Eee PC, you must run a proprietary OS.
> >  I would look for something else suitable.
>
> I was unaware of this, could you expound?

The EeePC requires (either Windows or) a derivative of the Linux kernel to
run. This derivative kernel has been modified to support some oddities of the
Eee PC (ACPI and WiFi in particular), and the source for this modified kernel
is not available. Their website does have a 1.6 GB ZIP file claiming to
be "source", but it is just a bunch of binary .debs and kernel *headers*.