Inexpensive PCI Wireless card now at Microcenter

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 00:16:14 CDT 2008

I was browsing through the wireless network cards at
Microcenter (93rd & Metcalf) and came across a
"generic" (or at least "no brand name") wireless card
for $19.99.  The chipset is a RA2561T, the "AWI-926T"
model name seems to indicate that it is an "Amigo"
network card.

It does 802.11g and 802.11n, and when I got it home
Ubuntu found it and used the RALink driver with no
difficulty getting it to connect to my 802.11g
wireless router.  Cards using the RALink driver are
among those recommended by the Free Software
Foundation.

I thought I'd mention this in case anyone is looking
for a cheap, Linux-compatible, FSF-recommended chipset
wireless PCI card.  It is one of the few boxes which
isn't shrink-wrapped so you can verify the chipset for
yourself (if you like).