video cards

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:58:16 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

>  How is a "plug-in" or "driver" any different from an elaboration?

I'm pretty sure we had this out f2f when we were working at
adjacent desks, Luke, but I'm biting anyway.

The existence of the modular plug-in interface creates a line of demarcation.

Consider wall-socket 110 volt 60hz electricity.  A lamp is not
an elaboration of the wall-socket.  It could get what it gets from
the wall-socket from some other system.  A three-prong grounded
wall socket, however, /IS/ a derivative work of a two-pronger.

If Nvidia were trying to pass off an extended version of the module
interface, which they are not, as their own, that would be a
derivative
work.

By crafting glue between the Linux modular interface and their
hardware, they are not creating a derivative work, any more than
snipping off one kind of power plug and attaching another in order
to power a floor lamp somewhere that has different kinds of power
outlets is.

your question -- how is this thing that is different from this other thing
different from it -- could be turned around.  How are they the same?

How /IS/ a plug-in an elaboration?  I think it clearly is not one.

--
bringing useful insights from Computer Science to the larger world