Request for Comments: Keeping the OS and Data on phsyically seperated drives

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:08:50 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Geoffrion, Ron P [IT]
<Ron.Geoffrion at sprint.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Geoffrion, Ron P [IT] <Ron.Geoffrion at sprint.com> wrote:
>  >> >>The result is a "one user data library - OS Agnostic to the computer accessing it model.
>  >>
>  >>  Not likely.
>
>  >done every day, for decades.  Client/server, tiered architectures do exactly this.
>

>  Well, yes, if you separate the client data from the OS using a network, thumbdrive, or other device that the/many operating system(s) can interface to, sure.
>
>  I was probably mislead by the question - I thought he wanted to do it on one machine, with the OS on on drive, data on another. We set servers up like that all the time for exactly that reason - OS on the root volume, data on a physically separate volume.
>
>  'ot likely' refers to the fact that you have to choose a 'universal' filesystem to swap between OS's on the same machine and access the /data partitions. There are some candidates for that - I'm just not familiar with a really good one when WinDoze it thrown in the OS swap mix. You'd probably end up buy Veritos to mitigate that issue between OSs'
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Ron Geoffrion
>  913.488.7664

Ron, THANK you for having added much to this that otherwise would have
been overlooked.  And to feed back some answers as to my original
intent.

1. Yes- Explicit in the concept is *NOT* having the Operating system
on a drive holding the "Non-OS" data  The reasons why are several.
Your comment about which OS can share which file system does cause a
reconsideration of how other details interact. The other comment of
yours about USB drives raises an interesting script question-
scripting a "write current differences" to the "local" portable drive.
As in - a scripted routine that updates my thumbdrive to mirror the
fixed image of "my" data. If I understand the Wiki site writeup on
Andrew- it would manage the revisions difference between my portable
drive and the fixed share a bit better than other ways. Is  my
understanding correct?

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645