video cards

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:40:44 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

>  Torvalds has nothing to do with why I'm here. If Linux didn't exist, we'd be
>  using either HURD or a BSD kernel.

You gave me a chuckle, especially the reference to HURD.  I do not
mean to slight the contributions of the Berkeley crowd or of GNU, but
Linux was the catalyst for the mainstream use of Free software and the
current Unix renaissance.  It's possible that it could have happened
in another way without the efforts of Linus, but then again, GNU
struggled for years unsuccessfully to make a kernel.  Writing a kernel
from scratch is far from a trivial act.

Furthermore, BSD does not share your philosophy, and thus it's absurd
for you to suggest that you'd be having an argument about a GPLed
kernel if we were all using BSD.

>  Stallman doesn't think everything should be free, and admits there is a legal
>  problem, so what's your argument again?

No sir, WHAT IS YOURS?

All significant parties - the guy that wrote the GPL, the guy that
wrote Linux - say what nVidia is doing is okay, and that the issue
isn't what they are doing, but is instead a limitation of the license
itself.  Where is the injury?  Where is the "illegal" behavior that
you're talking about?  They decline to seek civil recompense as they
do not feel there is an injury.  They publicly state that nVidia's
efforts are okay and that they will not seek legal recompense.

My assertion is that your argument is baseless and that you are in the
wrong.  I have backed up my statements with facts, could you please do
likewise?

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a