video cards

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 16:10:52 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Bradley Hook <bhook at kssb.net> wrote:

>  Copyright is controlled by codified law in the U.S. (Title 17 of the
>  United States Code). Both civil and criminal matters are covered by law,
>  the difference is in how they are processed and what the penalties may be.

I'm sorry, on the surface my reply seems contradictory.  My point
wasn't that the use of the term "law" itself was inappropriate, it was
that it was being used imprecisely.

He stated that "they still need to abide by the law", which implies a
criminal situation, as the logical implication was that we all have an
obligation (by extension) to force them to comply.  If we were talking
about insider trading or the use of torture by our intelligence
services, that would be an appropriate thing to say.

However, my assertion is that he should have stated "they still need
to abide by the copyright", which is more precise and doesn't lead to
ambiguity.

I hope that I was a bit more clear this time.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a