video cards

Adrian Griffis adriang63 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 15:31:13 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Adrian Griffis wrote:
>  > nVidia is not distributing any GPL'd code.  The are simply distributing
>  > their own proprietary driver.  They aren't even working the driver into my
>  > kernel; The are simply telling me how to work their driver into my kernel.
>  > Exactly how are they violating the GPL?
>
>  Here's a hint: Linux is not a microkernel. It doesn't have "drivers" in the
>  sense that Mach or Windows do. The only way to add such hardware support is
>  to use internal Linux code to make a patch/module for it.

Oh, Luke.  Does it always have to come down to insults and condescending words
for anyone who dares to disagree with you?  Is that how you enhance
your credibility.

What if the nVidia driver only "#include"s some kernel header files.
As long as those
header files do not include inline code definitions (an artifact of
C++, not C), wouldn't
the effects of defined constants, declarations, and function
prototypes fit well into the
fair use exceptions?

And, good sir, I suspect I've been in this business longer than you
have.  There's no
need to talk down to me.

Adrian