video cards

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu Apr 3 14:14:14 CDT 2008

I have an ATI chipset in my MacBook Pro I use at work (triple boot, runs
Linux 99% of the time). Quite frankly, ATI has sucked it up with support
for these cards. I have been eagerly watching since AMD bought out ATI,
and it looks like they are making some huge improvements. In fact, I am
hopeful that I may be able to try out an AMD/ATI based system at home
within the next 6 months. While I can get 3D acceleration on the MBP, it
sucks. I haven't been able to upgrade the drivers in a while because
it's an absolute pain to downgrade if it breaks something (I've had to
do it before). The most annoying thing about the ATI drivers on the MBP
is the video corruption that occurs frequently (garbage shows up in the
lower right corner of the screen). At home, for gaming, I use nVidia.

~Bradley

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
| On Thu, April 3, 2008 09:13, Leo Mauler wrote:
|
|> People keep going on about "3D acceleration" in ATi
|> cards, but I've never gotten an ATi card to run in
|> Linux on anything other than the VESA driver...
|
| I have an old ATI card (Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]), and it works
| fine for 2D graphics, using the xorg ATI driver (radeon).  The system
| boggs down in the latest Crystalspace games I have, but that's a system
| power issue.  (I don't know if Crystalspace counts as 3D).
|
| In my experience, ATI cards work great for everyday 2D stuff, desktop,
| web, photo, even video.  Where they fall flat is on the 3D level, where
| nobody has anything good to say.  3D is gaming and the new 3D desktop
| effects fad - not something essential to most people's daily PC use.
|
| As far as "acceleration" goes, that's just a term for the card's GPU
| taking over some of the processing that would otherwise be done by the
| CPU.  Most cards do some level of "acceleration" in both 2D and 3D mode,
| and it's more a question of the end results - rendering speed and quality.

- --
~Bradley Hook
Education Systems Administrator
Kansas State School for the Blind
1100 State Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66102
Voice: (913) 281-3308 ext. 363
Mobile: (913) 645-9958
Facsimile: (913) 281-3104
http://www.kssb.net

Confidentiality Statement:
This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and contain information
intended for the specified individual(s) only.  This information is
confidential unless explicitly indicated otherwise.  If you are not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by E-mail,
and delete the original message.