OCR

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 13:30:32 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM, bewkard <bewkard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have finally had it with paperwork.  This last tax season did me in.
>
> I've talked to a couple people about using OCR to store documents digitally.
> I know that a few people on the list do this as well.  I was wondering if
> anyone could give me some tips about what works and what doesn't work.  Is
> it better to OCR things?  is it better to scan and save a PDF or some other
> portable document?
>
> Again, TIA
>
> Tim

Fix number Zero. Sadly WinClosed and possibily hardware restricted .

http://www.neatreceipts.com/getorganized?gclid=COmVy_q1v5ICFQEQlwoduljzbw

Mentioned here so any Linux folks wishing to do this can see an
established player in the field.

Second is outsourcing:

https://www.shoeboxed.com/

Which also lists Linux compatibility .

There USED to be document handling services that handled small clients
and personal accounts but that have been decimated to almost
extincted. I used to work for one.-Let me give a  short overview of
factors in archiving paper records and ever expecting to see them
again. As in indexing and retrieval plans should become  frozen BEFORE
capture planning .
NEVER assume you can discard originals! Which behooves you to use the
capture phase to physically archive not only originals but "proof
prints." EX:

Scan docs- save file- retrieve file- reprint doc- audit a few or even
100% File the proofs as applicative insurance. Risk assessment's
dictates how far you go.
I could end my comments with suggesting that
the hardware image capture itself is your baseline pass/flunk. Detail
lost in a bad scan is GONE. and if you trash the originals?  I could
bore you with a recollection/tutorial of micrographics camera plus
scanner gear that made microfilm images and scans in one pass but will
post that only if asked or it is wanted off list.

Oren Beck

816.729.3645