The drifted SCO thread has opened a new arena. "IS there a place for a de facto IP freedom realm"

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Thu Sep 27 17:46:06 CDT 2007

A license effectively creates an implied contract when you use the
object under license. A contract is any legally binding and enforceable
agreement, and you must agree to the license (thereby making it binding
and enforceable) in order to use the licensed work. Arguing that you
have not entered into a contract effectively states that you are
violating the rights of the original owner.

Restated: The *license* is not a contract, but agreeing to the license
creates an implied contract.

In any jurisdiction where IP issues will ever be handled in a manner
reasonable for these purposes, IP rights are of real value. The GPL
grants you the right to propagate your derivative (an IP right), but
only if you permit the original author (and others) the same rights of
propagation (the reciprocal IP right). If you argue that IP rights are
of no value, then we might as well toss the whole OSS community out the
window.

~Bradley