Laptop recommend further questions- CPU speed Vs RAM size in Linux daily use

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 15:13:21 CST 2007

It's almost a cliche to say no one got fired for ordering IBM.
Then again?

My research to buy a laptop- budget ballpark $400-550 has raised question of
a T41 or similar IBM.
OF that general family the T41 seems the most common and "total ownership
cost" most viable or is it?
As my usage is primarily low intensity apps like simple browsing or music
play with light office tasks,
I really do not feel a need for exotica.
Using most Linux distros- it seems that a 1.4 ghz laptop with 2gb ram will
outperform the 2ghz 512mb ram.
IS that overview really on track?
 As in it being more "big picture" functional to have 1.6 ghz P4 with 2gb
ram  as opposed to 2.8ghz with 256mb ram?

Any personal experiences would help.

TIA

Oren