What is involved in an "Open Standard" truly being so?

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 01:25:20 CST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 6:37 PM, djgoku <djgoku at gmail.com> wrote:

> GPL is Free of Charge, and open source. GPL is in no way _free_.

Actually, GPL isn't "Free of charge."  If you read the GPL, it clearly
states that it is not necessarily free of charge, but it guarantees you the
freedom to modify/use the software released under it however you wish
(within the limitations set forth in the license that are needed to allow
others the same freedom).

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our
General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom
to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish),
that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can
change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you
know you can do these things."
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Sorry, it annoys me when people talk about "Free software" and make it sound
like there is no charge, ever.