Forced routing

Uncle Jim jim at
Wed Nov 14 03:06:43 CST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:40:22PM -0600, Monty J. Harder wrote:

> If you want packets addressed to to be sent via eth0, then try
> using this command:
> */sbin/route add -host dev eth0*

I'm not a multicast expert (or even multicast user) BUT my guess is that the
proper command should be:

   /sbin/route add -net netmask dev eth0

This is not to say that Monty's command wouldn't work but that this is the
more general command for the ( -
multicast network.

> Put it in /etc/rc.local so it will always be run at boot.

Monty has spent too much time in the SCO world.  On a RedHat system you should
use /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

> This should allow other multicast packets to stay on eth1.

I don't know why you would want other multicast packets to go to "The Internet"
rather than your local 10. network but your traffic, which is
defined as "LINKLOCAL", is still not on your "local" network.  But since you
don't use it, who cares?

The other thing you need to verify is that the fourth line of the output of
"ifconfig eth0" includes the word "MULTICAST".  I'm sure it does, my CentOS
3.0 server has it by default.