ITEC: Missing CDs, general thoughts

Brendan G moldybeats at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:57:39 CST 2007

On 11/8/07, Monty J. Harder <mjharder at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/8/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think he was referring to the latest release, which they opened the
> > gates for torrent downloads at approximately 9:05AM this morning.
>

> And I have consistently avoided pushing the latest version of ANYTHING to
> a newbie.  I tell people to use Ubuntu 7.04 and let seven months of
> patches update rather than using 7.10 and have trouble.  Only after a
> release has been out a few months do I want to put it in the hands of
> someone who might let a bad first experience with Linux become their last as
> well.
>
> We've seen specific horror stories that bear out the wisdom of the "wait
> to upgrade" philosophy.  Let those eager beavers gamma-test the software.
> You can even be one of them, if you have a "non mission critical" box to
> play with, or do like Jim Herrmann last night and make a separate partition
> to hold the new OS version (the old one's there as a fallback, and you can
> diff config files and figure out what you changed last time....)

I think that's excellent advice.  I recently talked my girlfriend into
installing Linux, so we installed 7.10 within a week or so of the final
release... I was eager to see it... and there have definitely been quirks.
Nothing too serious, but I wouldn't have known how to fix them without using
the command line.  She's not quite there yet.