ITEC: Missing CDs, general thoughts

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 07:40:21 CST 2007

We didn't have any Linux CDs yesterday, so we have
been telling people to go to shipit.ubuntu.com.  I
just checked ShipIt this morning and the turnaround
time for a free Ubuntu Linux CD is up to ten weeks, so
anyone who came by our booth on Wednesday is in for a
bit of a shock if they want to try out Linux.

I'll see if I can find some paper sleeves and burn a
dozen or two Ubuntu Linux CDs, but the official Ubuntu
CDs we had last year would look a lot better.

In general ITEC's new management is a mixed bag.  They
don't seem to have charged regular IT people for
admission, not even to attend the conference lectures,
but to compensate for this they have raised exhibitor
booth rates.  Even with free admission to everything,
attendance wasn't as high as last year.

OTOH, they did hand out free box lunches to everyone,
exhibitors and attendees, including choice of soda or
bottled water.  They also didn't mind giving you a
second box lunch if the first one wasn't quite enough.
 If word gets around about the free box lunches they
hand out around noon, Thursday attendance may be a lot
higher than Wednesday.