Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? (was Re: Whither ITEC?)

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 08:58:01 CDT 2007

--- "Christopher A. Bier" <chris.bier at cymor.com>
wrote:

> > I got an email a little while ago from the
> > folks responsible for ITEC, which led me to
> > this page, which shows  Exhibitors:

> > We aren't mentioned yet.  Who had contact
> > with them last time?  Heard anything yet?
> > Can we get a few hundred Ubuntu CDs
> > again? . . .
>
> I'm working on talking them down from the $2,000
> they're asking for a booth.

They may see our booth as unnecessary duplication of
one of their conference speakers, and that in turn
reduces their potential profits.  They are probably
thinking "why would an attendee pay more for a
conference speaker pass when they can get the same
information from KCLUG for free?"

ITEC Kansas City > Education > Education Agenda

http://pages.crosstechmedia.com/WebSite/Sessions.aspx?C=70000087&S=50000093#50003643

TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/35erar

Free Software Choices: Building Your Network Without
Paying License Fees
Wednesday and Thursday 10:15 AM

Limited dollars, but tied to Windows? Don’t despair,
because today more than ever, you can build your
business with free software. Takeaway points in this
session include:

    * A short list of totally free choices that range
from email and accounting through productivity suites.
    * An analysis of the wide range of free anti-virus
protection products
    * The best free graphics programs and tools to
enable developers.

Speaker(s): Kim Brand, President, FileEngine

=============================

Kim Brand, President, FileEngine

Kim Brand has been delivering Open Source solutions to
small businesses, schools and not-for-profits since
1999. Based on this experience, he formed Server
Partners, LLC in 2001 to develop a Linux based file
server appliance called FileEngine. He believes Linux
offers the best value to SMBs interested in a stable,
economical, worry free server environment that
integrates well with their Windows Desktop PCs. Kim is
a member of the board of the Central Indiana Linux
Users Group and an organizer of TechPoint's Open
Source for Business Peer Group. He has written two
books and writes and speaks regularly on technology matters.