Pirate Banned from Using Linux

Jestin Stoffel jestin.stoffel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 19:18:39 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 00:00 +0000, lerninlinux at comcast.net wrote:
> Considering where I work, I see a LOT of police, sherriffs, state troopers, probation officers, etc, and I know what some of the police are capable of (only what they been trained, in a lot of cases (more $$$ in the private sector), I am going to say his probation officer is both semi computer illiterate, and low on time.
>
> Otherwise, he could set up a Windows box to capture traffic going through it's shared connection, and any that is Encrypted, be considered a violation of his probation.
>
> Now that wouldn't stop things like
> A bootable distro
> Using a seperate network card, with a seperate address and internet connection
> etc.

I have to agree.  If the police need to rely on software running on the
box itself to keep tabs on this guy, they aren't doing a very good job
of enforcing the probation to begin with.  Making the guy shift to an OS
he doesn't want to use is only going to increase his motivation for
bypassing the checks that have been put in place.  It just seems to be
another case of laziness due to monoculture.

--Jestin