Native American Pow Wow _THIS_ weekend!

Julie betelgeuse67stang at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 11:35:13 CDT 2007

Hi!

  At ‘breakfast’ after the meeting last night someone brought up the subject of the Native American Pow Wow that is coming up this weekend (Aug. 24 – 26) and wanted to know about it. I promised that I would post this information to the newsletter for all to see in case anyone else would be interested in this fascinating culturally rich event, too.

  Here is the link to the Home Page of the organization that sponsors this Pow Wow every year:

  http://www.kc-icmn.org/

  While there you can download a .pdf of the Flyer by going to the “Events” button on the left side of that page.

  The person who brought up the subject of the pow wow wanted to know, "What was the best time to be there to see the most interesting thing?." I told him that I go every day, all day. The reason for this is that there are many things that happen at a pow wow that I find exceedingly intriguing.

  However, you will notice on the flyer a "Tentative Schedule of Events". My suggestion for the most enriching pow wow experience would be to make sure to arrive in time to witness "The Grand Entry" of the day you plan on attending (Saturday is usually a BLAST! I strongly suggest making "A Day" of it!). This is the ‘official’ start of the day. This is when the US Flag and the Native American Staff are brought into the arena, honored and put in their respective positions until they are retired at the end of that day. This is one of the times that you will see all the Native Americans in attendance in the arena at the same time in Full _Regalia_ (NOT “costume”). From The Grand Entry you should want to stay until the pow wow ends that evening because there are a wide variety of things to see, do and learn.

  “Gourd Dancers” are Native Americans who are Veterans of the US Military or who have an immediate family member who died while serving over seas in the US Military. They have their own dance times for the purpose of the remembrance and honoring of all who have served and currently serve in the US Military.

  “Intertribals” are dances where all in attendance of the pow wow can enter the arena and dance with the Native Americans. “Specials” are dances, or other events, that someone has specifically asked the Arena Director for. The dances are always _very_ interesting to watch!!! Sometimes a Special is even an Intertribal dance where all in attendance of the pow wow are *encouraged* to participate. These can be _especially_ enjoyable and exhilarating experiences!

  To learn more about pow wows, including __proper__ *Pow Wow Etiquette*, the link below is quite educational:

  http://www.powwows.com/

  You will find “Pow Wow Etiquette” in the row of buttons at the left of that page under "Pow Wow Info".

  Remember that the planks surrounding the arena is seating for the Native American Dancers and members of the “Drums” so bring your own folding chairs, plenty of sun screen and your own source of shade. ;)

  Come on out, enjoy the festivities and learn about true Native American heritage while you’re at it! I'll be under the turqouise umbrella, so stop by and say, "howdy!" :D

  See ya there!
  Julie @};-