ALSA Setup

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Fri Dec 29 01:22:01 CST 2006

I took the Tascam USB card I had that Kubuntu wouldn't recognize as a
sound card, and I got a Roland Edirol UA-25, which is supported out of
the box.  When I plug it in, it seems to be recognized as a sound card:

root at jim-laptop:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xd8240000 irq 58
 1 [UA25           ]: USB-Audio - EDIROL UA-25
                      Roland EDIROL UA-25 at usb-0000:00:1d.1-1, full speed

However, I can't see it in Kmix, Alsamixergui, Jack, or any other higher
level sound application.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I need to look at to get this
working?  Of course, I tried it in Windows today, and it just works.  Doh!

Help!

Thanks,
Jim