MrZaius moving back to KC!

James R. Sissel JimSissel at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 27 11:38:44 CST 2006

>1: ISP Choice:
>I've heard recommendations for Everest and Time Warner cable service,
>and I've heard that Speakeasy offers some sort of DSL service over the
>local telcos' copper.  Who have you found to be most reliable and
>easiest to deal with?

I use AT&T as my DSL provider.  They are reliable but not the
cheapest.  I'm going to have to have a chat with them about that.

>2: Kansas vs Missouri, with regards to taxation:
>I'm not likely to buy a house anytime soon, so the main questions are
>these: Which state is it cheaper to pay income tax and keep a car in?

I've found that Kansas charges more income tax that Missouri.  Don't live
or work in Kansas City, Missouri.  If you do they will charge you a 1% city
income tax right off the top.

>4: Where are the decent used computer-parts stores?  Looks like my old
>haunt in Pleasant Valley has disappeared.

If I have to shop at a local store I usually go to MicroCenter on 91st and
Metcalf but I usually try to buy at www.newegg.com.  There is a used PC
store in the shopping center across from the Bannister area Wal-Mart
Supercenter.  I've donated a few things there years ago just to get rid of
them but never bought anything.  Most of my latest donations have been at
the recycling center in the Bannister Wal-Mart Supercenter's parking
lot.  They work with the Surplus Exchange.  By the way, that recycling
center is great.  They take almost anything ... paper, phone books,
magazines, cardboard, glass, plastic (1&2), Styrofoam, metal cans, metal in
general, and have a "free" table.