Request for Presenter Demonstrator

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:38:50 CST 2006

Dear KCLUG List,

I am emailing on behalf of the UMKC Chapter of the Association for
Computing Machinery (I haven't finished building our website yet). As
part of the School of Computing and Engineering's "E-Week" (Feb. 19 -
23), I am attempting to organize a "Linux on the desktop"
demonstration which would be open , and advertised to the UMKC student
body. The objectives which I would like to meet are as follows:

- Boost interest, membership, and awareness of my organisation
- Boost awareness of the availability of operating system other than
those produced by Microsoft and Apple
- Correct misconceptions that Linux is only used on servers
- Generally show that Linux can be a viable foundation on which users
can focus on productivity, while still having a full functioning
personal computer complete with "shinny" graphics.

I hope to also present Linux running on my office machine (customized
to various themes) along side, or more in assistance to the KCLUG
representatives.

Currently, there is very little probability of financial incentives.
The presenter(s) would have to supply their own hardware, however, I
should be able to organize transportation. I am currently unaware of
(but can find more information if necessary) of the cable television
coverage within the SCE building - in case the presenter(s) would like
to showcase MythTV (or TvTime). The exact day of the week and time
have not yet been decided by the organizers of the week, however,
demonstration length would be between 30 mins and 60 mins. Wifi and
ethernet access can be provided for.

I hope that some members will be willing to make this presentation and
represent KCLUG. Please reply on or off list ( I do not have a
preference). And please feel free to request any further information
that may be needed to come to a decision.

Thank you.

Arthur Pemberton
President
UMKC ACM