Problems with video conversion temp files

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 15:05:18 CST 2006

--- "Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO"
<brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/13/2129256
> Easy video creation using only FOSS software
> Make sure to read through the comments.

Yes, I've been there.  Kino and Cinelerra both require
uncompressed audio and uncompressed video, meaning
editing a two hour video in 15GB is impossible.  The
remaining tools mentioned in that article are "convert
the file from one format into another."  If I want to
take out the six minutes in the middle of the video in
which the guy with the camera filmed the ground and
recorded unintelligible crowd noise, I'm stuck finding
an actual video editor.

Jahshaka (http://www.jahshaka.org/) sounds nice until
you track down their user FAQ (click on the "Help"
button in the upper right corner) and see that the
only formats they support are MPEG1/2 (mostly
supported), and...uncompressed audio/video format
(completely supported).  Some users have reported
varying success editing DivX, but for the most part
your choices are AVI or DV with *no compression*.

So it is looking like Avidemux is the only real tool
in Linux to edit video in less than 300GB of hard
drive space.