IT training companies

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Wed Jun 22 09:29:38 CDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:22:01 -0500
JARiley at dstsystems.com wrote:

> I have a buddy who wants to get into IT from a Geography Major/City
> Planner background.  He checked out Foss Training Center yesterday and
>
> asked if I knew about their reputation as a trainer.  I don't, so I
> was  hoping some of you do.  Can you give me some feedback?  He is
> looking at  an eight month program to get certified in Java and Web
> Design/Development.
> Would he be better off at another training company or even going back
> to  school and getting some type of IT associate's or bachelor's
> degree (in  regards to what local managers are looking for)?

  Certs help, but only when I'm familiar with the cert itself.  What
  I really look for is experience ( preferablly in a business setting )
  with the technology they will be working with.  IMHO degrees are
  pretty much worthless, but I seriously doubt the majority of IT
  Managers have the same thinking I do.