MySQL Question

Josh Charles josh.charles at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 10:42:09 CDT 2005

I've been trying to figure this out, but have been coming up blank.
For some reason, I can't figure out the right google term to use, and
the MySQL books I have don't really address this.

I'm working with a website that will have many, many pieces of text I
need to store in the database.  Most of these texts will be less than
10,000 Characters, while a few will could be as great as 100,000
characters or more.  I won't be able to know ahead of time.

The Scheme's I've come up with are as follows:

Use LongText or MediumText data type for all articles.  My concern is
that those majority of articles that are only < 10,000 will bloat the
database.  Please excuse my ignorance in the data storage techniques
if this isn't right.

The other way is that as articles are stored in different tables based
on their character count.  I don't like this method because it would
mean have three tables to store the same type of data, and I would
need to reference that in another table.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Josh