quick network engineering review question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jun 1 16:27:49 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 03:51 pm, David Nicol wrote:

> I want to sniff all traffic on the upstream link at my installation.  I
> have a wire that comes into my cisco router from the CSU/DSU.  The question
> is, is this wire a normal ethernet wire, so that I could plug it into a hub
> and plug the hub into the Cisco, that is, put a hub in line with it, or is
> it something else?

Not a guaranteed answer, but I would say "no".  The wire from the telecom does
not carry straight ethernet traffic, it's frame relay or dsl or something.
you need some sort of modem device to translate to ethernet.

Depending on the Cisco unit you have, either the unit itself can output raw
packet info for logging/analysis, or you can connect a computer to it to do
the sniffing.

I recently ran "iptraf" on my firewall and determined that all that flickering
on the RoadRunner modem was ARP packets.