[OT] Laptop Harddrives

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 11:09:54 CST 2005

Any laptop of the right thinkness and ATA speed should be fine.  There
shouldn't be any real reason to look for HP specific drives as it seems it
takes a fairly standard 9.5mm drive.  Faster spindle speeds will help
performance, but at the expense of battery draw and heat.  If it's one of
those hot P4 monsters, I'd be a tad wary of using a faster/hotter drive than
spec.  Otherwise, if it's a Pentium M, then the heat output should be less
worrysome.