A guy at work sent this.

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 09:02:17 CDT 2005

--- Jason Clinton wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 14:26, David Nicol
> wrote:
> > you mean, like Red Hat and Novell do?
>
> RedHat and Novell don't sell rebranded OSS apps for
> the Windows platform. The
> end-user software market for Windows is different
> from Linux in that there
> are plenty of suckers out there willing to shell out
> some $$ for
> pieces-of-software-at-a-time.
>
> In the highly speculative scenario I proposed, one
> would be getting insane
> amounts of markup off each individual package --
> selling them all separately
> in the same way that proprietary apps for Windows
> are sold. I'm sure there
> are plenty of people out there who would never know
> they could have gotten it
> for free.
Oh!!!  You mean like Lindo... err... Linspire!

;')

On that thread, I wouldn't be opposed to paying per
piece of software (for some things). I'd really like
to have a good desktop publisher and graphics program
on Linux that also has a good book on how to make the
most of it. I know there are: OOo, Scribus, Sketch
and Gimp, but they are all lacking a bit in usability.
Well not sure about Sketch (haven't used it much yet).
On the DTP I have this huge (20,000+) library of
clipart from various places, but it needs some serious
tool for organizing the them so I can find what I
want.

Brian JD