Customizing UPSs

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Dec 31 10:26:41 CST 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 02:07 pm, Leo Mauler wrote:

> Keep a small solar array to produce the hydrogen for
> the fuel cells, and you've got your own electricity
> generator which is essentially powered off the sun and
> water, without having to worry too much about long
> cloudy periods, especially in the winter months.

The only application where I've seen fuel cells used for solar electric
storage is in space, where I presume the weight penalty of conventional
batteries makes the difference.

In any case, adequate, even practical systems already exist using conventional
batteries instead of fuel cells, so if you're interested in this there's no
reason not to go ahead and do it.