install and use of linux with a drive too big for bios

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 07:05:34 CST 2004

--- hanasaki <hanasaki at hanaden.com> wrote:

> Anyone have an IDE drive they would be willing to
> part with?
> 	5 - 20gig
>
> EMail me back directly with logistics.
>
> thanks

HyperTech computers at the mall at the corner of 87th
& Farley in Lenexa fairly regularly has old 2GB-30GB
drives they pulled out of older systems.  Unlike the
used computer stores they tend to price reasonably,
anywhere from $8 for the 2GB drives to $25 for the
30GB drives.

If you really get desperate and need something quick,
and HyperTech doesn't have any to spare, you can
always go to the Computer Swap & Shop between Lamar
and Nall on Johnson Drive in Merriam, KS.  They'll
charge you $15 for a 1GB drive, $20 for a 2GB drive,
or $25 for a 3GB drive.  Its a very high price for
what you get, but its a drive under the motherboard
limits for hard drives.

Also, MicroCenter at 93rd & Metcalf in Overland Park
has some sub-64GB drives available.  Last time I was
there they had new and refurbished 20GB, 40GB, and
60GB drives for about $30, $50, and $65 respectively.

You can always go the third route I didn't mention
last time, which is booting from a USB pendrive, if
your motherboard supports booting from a USB device.
If you can still find one, I'd bet that 16-32MB USB
pendrives are probably down around $10 (saw a $40
256MB USB pendrive package which included a 16MB
pendrive for free), and 16-32MB is more than enough
for a /boot partition.