install and use of linux with a drive too big for bios

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 19:27:37 CST 2004

--- David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> make a small parition at the beginning of the drive
> and work with that, the linux tools will see the
> whole thing, if the kernel can.

The only potential problem here is that he might have
to jumper the drive to be a lot smaller to fit under
what I think is the BIOS 64GB limit for some older
motherboards.  If the BIOS can't read the drive in its
120GB state, then no amount of tiny partitions will
allow him to boot.  And if he jumpers the drive to be
64GB, then Linux will also agree that its 64GB and he
loses half the drive size.

His choices are boot from floppy, or boot from a
smaller master hard drive.