install and use of linux with a drive too big for bios

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 19:23:44 CST 2004

Linux ignores the BIOS, but some motherboards
(probably including the Asus K7M) don't allow you to
boot from a hard drive which the BIOS can't read at
startup.

I too had this situation with my current Linux system
(dual PII-450Mhz) and the 80GB hard drive I put in it.

My solution was to mount a 1GB hard drive as the
master, and the 80GB drive as the slave, on the
Primary IDE.  The 1GB drive is about 50MB /boot, and
the rest I devoted to /var as I don't have a great
many log files on this mostly personal desktop
machine.  Once the machine boots, Linux takes over and
ignores the whining and moaning coming from the BIOS,
allowing full access to the monster hard drive.

If you can't find a hard drive to mount as slave
(sounds like your motherboard has the 64GB limit, so
anything up to 64GB should work as the master drive),
you could always boot from a floppy disk.  Its all
just a matter of getting the system booted and handing
over control of the hard drives to Linux.

Or get one of the uber-geeks here to help you create a
boot CD geared for your system.  8-)