knoppix question

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 13:32:42 CST 2004

--- lerninlinux at comcast.net wrote:

> I have taken old parts and assembled a test system,
> I would like to know if Knoppix will boot into 256
> mb of memory only.  No hard drive, no floppy.   I am
> wanting to use it as a test station for hard drives,
> (checking if they are bad and fdisking and such).

The short answer is "yes".  The stated minimum for the
GUI is 80MB, 128MB for using any Office applications
(such as OpenOffice).  I think 64MB allows you to boot
into text mode.  256MB is ample RAM for running
KNOPPIX.

I routinely use KNOPPIX for network installs on older
hardware, since KNOPPIX auto-senses pretty much any
old network card I have plugged into the base system.
This is helpful even when the base system will not be
networked (such as a dial-up only system for a
low-budget friend) and especially when the base system
won't have a CDROM drive in it.  I also get to
download all manner of drivers off the Internet
through KNOPPIX.